THE OTHER GUYS, 2010
Cast: Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Samuel L. Jackson, Dwayne Johnson, Lindsay Sloane, Eva Mendes, Michael Keaton, Ray Stevenson, Steve Coogan, Anne Heche
Two mismatched New York City detectives (Ferrell and Wahlberg) seize an opportunity to step up like the city's top cops whom they idolize -- only things don't quite go as planned. .
Top 10 reasons why THE OTHER GUYS is the best comedy since ANCHORMAN (and perhaps one of the greatest comedies of all-time).
10. Parody about the overexposed cop genre. It's about time we make fun of this genre where currently (in 2010) 35% of all television dramas are police procedural and according to a recent survey over 30% of all films made since 1990 have a police officer plot in it. THE OTHER GUYS is what the movie AIRPLANE was for all the "thriller will we all die" plots in the 1970s.
9. Speaking of the cop genre, you ever notice that 99% of all police plots are about a murder and/or a drug dealer. THE OTHERS GUYS is a slapstick comedy yes, but it's also a social commentary about big businesss and the US economy system and how there is something very wrong here. (make sure you stay for the entire closing credits sequence for a step by step tutorial on how corporations really run the Western world - if you didn't already know.) ANCHORMAN was a film about the progression of women in the workplace and THE OTHER GUYS is a film about what cops really need to be focusing on instead of worrying about finding grandma's pot stash in her closet. We laugh but we also see the insanity that our world is still in because of the blatant double standards and/or the turning the blind eye to what the real crimes in our society are. And that's what great comedy is - mixing the really pathetic and sad with humor.
8. Will Ferrell has new acting/comedy chops. Ferrell has been playing the overconfident idiot for the last 10 years or perhaps his entire rags to riches career. Think about all of the previous roles he has played and when you go down the list you see that he always plays a successful guy who is in over his head. From playing George W. Bush to the Anchorman to the scientist who creates alternative worlds in his last movie (a huge bomb that no one should remember).
Ferrell hit a wall with his career and he needed a fresh start. After an A-list actor has two box office bombs in a row, they always go away for a while to revamp. Then they do either three things -
A) They go back to their beginnings and do another sequel to their franchise films.
B) They attempt the same thing again by playing the same character they played before but in a different plot because they are not ready to concede that the world is past their current creative artistry.
OR C) They put their old characters away in a closet or sometimes bury them completely and attempt something new.
Ferrell is attempting a new character. Well it's not entirely new as some of his past SNL skits are similar to the character he plays in THE OTHER GUYS, but he's never done them in a Hollywood movie. For a lot of actors this doesn't work because it's hard for an audience to see them in a different light. But Ferrell pulls it off and it could be his best performance yet.
6. New York City is New York City. They took the production cost increase and actually shot in the city they set it in. It was great to see them do action and comedy scenes in the actual streets of NYC, instead of them being in Toronto or Montreal walking the streets pretending it's New York City. This little touch added so many layers to this movie. I'm going to get killed in my hometown of Toronto for saying this, but I hope they decide to do this more and eat the extra $5-10 million dollars it costs to do it. It just adds so much more to the essense of the story. (and it made the movie funnier because of it!)
5. The drunken bar stop motion scene. Don't want to give anything away but what a terrific way to shoot an otherwise cliche scene. This Matrix style of shooting also can work in a comedy too.
4. Mark Wahlberg is the shortest guy in every scene. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this was very funny to keep seeing Marky Mark looking up to people looking for respect during the entire film. THE OTHER GUYS needs a 2nd viewing because Wahlberg's performance is so understated, you almost forget how good he is as a comedy actor. (SEE The film I HEART Huckabees as Wahlberg is terrific in that underrated film too)
3. The rewatch factor. This comedy has averages about 6 jokes a minute and it's impossible to catch everything. So you have to watch it again. (the only criticism I can say about this film is that it's about 10 minutes too long, but I might change my mind after the 3rd viewing).
2. Stays with you for days or possibly even years. You can be doing your daily routine tasks and think of this movie and start laughing. Then when all your co-workers and friends see the film, you can begin to do lines and scenes from the movie to kill time and jumpstart your spirits and that's when you know you have a classic. And by 2012, THE OTHER GUYS will be this film.
1. The LAUGH OUT LOUD factor. When it comes down to it a great comedy is about how many times you laugh out loud during the first time you see it. I counted 6 from the crowd I was in and 7 for myself personally. That's a second place finish for me as ANCHORMAN still comes in first (9 laugh out loud moments).
So yes, THE OTHER GUYS is the 2nd best comedy in the last 20 years. A must see movie for everyone.